A Guide to MAKE
Welcome to MAKE@Story Garden’s digital handbook. Here you can find more information on:
- MAKE and the Story Garden
- How to access the studios and resources
- Applying to run an activity and download the proposal form
- Find inspiration in the MAKE Activity Library
Hidden away among the beanstalks and leafy greens of the Story Garden in Camden, MAKE is a community studio where you can explore creative collaboration and projects by the local community. MAKE embraces the skills and talents of people who live work and study in Somers Town and St Pancras as well as the wider Camden area.
Always evolving, MAKE opened in July 2019 with Central Saint Martins (CSM) providing the expertise and know-how to launch this creative community space and turn the idea into a reality. Since spring 2021, MAKE is now run by the Somers Town Community Association and the St Pancras & Somers Town Living Centre.
Who is MAKE for?
MAKE brings together lots of different groups of people from our local communities, with a shared focus on creating, making and sharing ideas.
Whether it’s individuals who live and work locally in Somers Town and St Pancras, students and staff from our neighbours at CSM, or other local organisations, MAKE is a space where people from many different backgrounds can come together to create and learn from each other.
What happens at MAKE?
MAKE offers a creative space where our vibrant local community can get together to address local issues and social challenges in a creative and practical way by getting involved in creative and cultural experiences.
Making clothes, repairing furniture, working with clay, weaving textiles or running art activities about tackling the climate emergency… These are just a few of the projects and workshops that have run at MAKE.View existing activities at MAKE
Facilities & Equipment
MAKE @ Story Garden functions as a workshop space. We are equipped with a flexible range of equipment to cater to a range of arts, crafts and design activities. More specifically the following activities:
- Clay and ceramic making (including firing)
- Sewing activities
- Textiles and weaving
- Digital fabrication and small-scale manufacture that requires a laser cutter
- Woodworking, furniture making and DIY activities.
- Facilities for workshops and collaborative ideation sessions, such as presentations.
Our facilities include:
- Flexible indoor studio space for 8 people (with social distancing in place, 15 people once all social distancing restrictions lift at a future date)
- Use of outdoor work area for assembly of larger groups (up to 6 people with social distancing)
- An outdoor kiln for ceramic raku firing
- A fully stocked range of hand tools
- Sewing machines and an overlocker
- Trotec laser cutter
- Large screen for presentation
To request additional equipment in the space, please get in touch and talk to us! We may have access to a wider range of equipment for projects through Central Saint Martins School of Art and Design.Request equipment
Where is MAKE?
MAKE is a studio and creative workshop located within the Story Garden – a temporary garden run by the charity Global Generation on a site owned by the British Library.
The physical space comprises two spaces, built from reused shipping containers, offering specialist equipment.
It is open to booking by community groups, organisations and residents within the area. As well as the public studio space itself, MAKE can provide inspiration for possible projects, including know-how gained from past experience, and practical support to make creative ideas come to life.
Want to find out more?
Web design & development by See, Also